Positioning your dehumidifier at the right place enhances its efficiency; it lets you enjoy the best of its performance. A dehumidifier is best positioned, based on several factors.
Having some technical know-how about the machine obliges me to share with you some of the best practices and places in your home where you can best place it.
Follow Our Content Guidelines
- Best practices while positioning your dehumidifier
- #1: Let air flow around the dehumidifier
- #2: Carefully place the hosepipe
- #3: Place the dehumidifier far from dusty environments
- #4: Where possible, install it in your Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) System
- #5: Most importantly, station the dehumidifier in a single room
- Top places to station your dehumidifier
Best practices while positioning your dehumidifier
Focusing on the right places to position your dehumidifier, before reflecting on the best precautions while positioning it, would be putting the cart before the horse. Some of the best measures to implement while setting the device include:
#1: Let air flow around the dehumidifier
Plenty of space around a dehumidifier allows for free circulation of air. Good airflow around the device maximizes its efficiency in extracting moisture. A space of between 6 t0 12 Inches is commendable to allow for proper circulation of air around the dehumidifier.
#2: Carefully place the hosepipe
Some dehumidifiers require hosepipes to drain water from their reservoirs. If you have such a type, ensure that the hosepipe rests properly in the hub so that it doesn’t fall off. Additionally, regularly check the pipe to confirm that it is in the right position.
As a precaution, keep the hose pipe distant from electrical circuits and cords to avoid electric shocks. If possible, also use a short hosepipe since inattentive persons might trip over a long hosepipe.
#3: Place the dehumidifier far from dusty environments
Dust degrades the efficiency of a dehumidifier. Therefore, it is good practice to station the device in areas free of dust. For example, avoid areas such as the garage where a lot of woodwork might be going on.
#4: Where possible, install it in your Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) System
The sole purpose of dehumidifiers is to remove moisture from the air. Equally, the HVAC System is aimed at improving the quality of air in the house. Installing the dehumidifiers together with the HVAC System comes with a range of benefits including; drop in utility bills, general comfort, and reduction in moisture damage to the HVAC System.
#5: Most importantly, station the dehumidifier in a single room
A dehumidifier is most efficient if well placed in a single room with closed doors and windows. Depending on its ability, installing it in between two rooms may water down its efficiency as a result of overworking.
Top places to station your dehumidifier
While focusing on the above best practices, some of the best places that you can identify for dehumidifier placement include:
- Firstly, you can position it against a wall; especially if it discharges air from its top surface. If this is the best option for you, remember to maintain a 6 to 12 Inch space between the dehumidifier and the wall.
- Secondly, you can opt to station it in a moist room such as the basement, bathroom, or the laundry room. This is because it would be uneconomical to run the device in a room free of moisture.
- On a different note, you can place a dehumidifier at the center of a room; especially if it is of a portable nature. This evenly distributes its services to the entire room.
- Lastly, large dehumidifiers can be best stationed and installed together with the HVAC System.