Living happy and comfortable again with your family in a whole house is possible during winter when humidity level seems to be low. By purchasing the best whole house humidifier today, can help you maintain optimal humidity in your house if you want to overcome dry air faster during the winter.
If humidity level is not controlled, this can exposed you and your entire family to various skin conditions, respiratory and uncomfortable moments. One of the best ways to control humidity level is by using a humidifier . However, we have updated our best whole house humidifiers and reviews list to assist you in choosing the best unit for your household, especially for your baby.
Follow Our Content Guidelines
- Best Whole House Humidifier Comparison & Buying Guide
- Types of Whole House Humidifier
- amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; amzn_assoc_search_bar = "true"; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "bestdesktop0c-20"; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; amzn_assoc_region = "US"; amzn_assoc_title = "Best Sellers"; amzn_assoc_linkid = "3af276b47e4edbb4b1c12dea261547c8"; amzn_assoc_asins = "B00I9YFXSS,B004S34ISA,B00K8FPSSG,B005DS4YY2,B01H6Y46PW,B01KNL1ECI,B000G0LDRI,B002QAYJPO";
- Will a Whole House Humidifier Benefits You?
- Notable Features Before Purchasing Your Humidifier
- Best Whole House Humidifier Reviews
- 1. Essick Air AIRCARE MA1201 Console Evaporative Humidifier
- 2. AIRCARE EP9 500 Digital Whole-House Pedestal-Style Evaporative Humidifier, Nutmeg
- 5. AprilAire 700 Power Humidifier with Automatic Digital Humidistat
- 3. Bionaire Ultrasonic Humidifier
- 4. Honeywell Cool Moisture Console Humidifier
- 5. Aprilaire 400 Humidifier Bypass
- 7. Essick Air 3-Speed Console Humidifier
- How Humidifier Benefits Dry Skin
- The Best Whole House Humidifier Buying Guide
- Why Should You Purchase a Whole House Humidifier
- Share this:
Best Whole House Humidifier Comparison & Buying Guide
|AprilAire 700 Automatic Humidifier||4,200 sq. ft.||15.8 pounds||4.5 of 5|
|AIRCARE EP9 500 Digital Whole-House Humidifier||2, 500 sq. ft.||32.2 pounds||4.5 of 5|
|Essick Air AIRCARE MA1201||3,600 sq. ft.||14.0 pounds||4.4 of 5|
|Aprilaire 800 Residential Steam Humidifier||6,200 sq. ft.||3.0 pounds||4.5 of 5|
|Bionaire Ultrasonic Filter-Free Humidifier||1,600 sq. ft.||9.3 pounds||4.3 of 5|
|Honeywell HE260A Higher Capacity Whole House Bypass Humidifier||4,000 sq. ft.||15.0 pounds||4.5 of 5|
|Honeywell HE360A Whole House||4,200 sq. ft.||18.0 pounds||4.5 of 5|
Types of Whole House Humidifier
Knowing the various types of whole house humidifiers will save you the stress and time involved when shopping for humidifiers. As there are plenty of manufacturer and brands of humidifiers so there are different types of humidifiers. Although, whole house humidifiers are designed to humidify an entire house, still they exist in different models and functionality. For accurate home needs and buying guide, here are the types of whole house humidifier to know:
- Bypass humidifiers: These types are seen as one of the best for a furnace system as they uses less water and also require less maintenance compare to competitive units. If you want to minimize humidifiers running cost, baypass humidifiers are ideal choice to consider.
- Steam humidifiers: If you want to create comfortable humidity level within shorter duration, steam humidifiers are one of the best types for a whole house as rated by consumer reports. How is this possible? Because they heat up the water, converting it into steam and since steam travels faster compare to mist in the air, your space will be humidify within few minutes of running a steam humidifier. And that’s why this types are more common among users.
- Fan enabled humidifiers: These works similar to the bypass models but they are more advantageous as the fan installed in them blows the air through the water panel and thus leads to high humidity evaporation. Many users claim fan powered humidifiers are also good option when it comes to shopping for whole house humidifier system.
Will a Whole House Humidifier Benefits You?
There are lots of health benefits from the moisture provided by a whole house humidifier such as soothing of dry skin, sinus congestion etc. caused by dry air in home where there is low humidity. When you maintained humidity level within the recommended range of 35 to 45% will reduce the chances of you catching flu or cold symptoms. Optimal humidity level also helps to promote the integrity of your home belonging by protecting them in good condition.
Notable Features Before Purchasing Your Humidifier
To purchase the best whole house humidifier today, follow these steps:
- Be sure to know your home coverage area in square feet (sq. ft) in order to choose the right unit.
- Decide which of the types of whole house humidifier is best for you.
- Check various features such as digital or manual humidity control, auto-shut off, filter replacement or empty tank indicator option and others. If you need a filterless humidifier, you may read this post.
- Consider mode of installation if you can do it yourself or require a professional.
- Also consider maintenance cost, although most whole house humidifiers are easy to maintain.
- Finally, check if the humidifier is back up with warranty. Be informed, some manufacturers withdraw their warranty if the unit is not installed by an expert.
Best Whole House Humidifier Reviews
1. Essick Air AIRCARE MA1201 Console Evaporative Humidifier
Base on consumer’s reviews and ratings, the MA1201 is one of the best whole house console humidifiers you will likely to find on most retail stores. It space saving, making it an ideal unit for those having space issues. This unit can power home of about 3,600 square feet while using just 6 gallon of water in 24 hours.
It is equipped with water refilling and filter check indicator which alert you on when to refill or change the filter respectively.
Since it’s a console unit, it can serve as a whole house humidifier and also a single room unit as you can move it from one room to another and this eliminates cost of purchasing different humidifiers in different rooms as this unit meets this requirement.
It also features 4 speed fan and humidity customization settings which you can use to set your desire humidity level. Auto-shut off function is also available on this essick air model that turn of the unit whenever there is shortage of water.
2. AIRCARE EP9 500 Digital Whole-House Pedestal-Style Evaporative Humidifier, Nutmeg
The EP9 500 is another humidity device from the Essick air brand which is also common among users. As a standalone unit, lets you move around your house to humidify the room where you want the humidity. It is designed to humidify home measuring up to 2,800 sq. ft while consuming up to 9 gallon of water per day.
The evaporative unit features 9 fan speed option just to meet your desired humidity level. What you need do, choose your prefer speed level. It is also equipped with automatic shut off, water refill and check filter indicator that help monitor the unit accordingly for peace mind.
This humidifier also comes in an easy to refill front pour design that makes refilling a less task. Also enjoy customizable humidity control and digital display and 60 hours of run time when you purchase the made in USA and ETL approved AIRCARE EP9 500 Digital humidifier.
5. AprilAire 700 Power Humidifier with Automatic Digital Humidistat
This is a furnace type of humidifier that can be mounted on a HAVC or on a cooling system for it to start working. This duct system can humidify living space that is up to 4,500 square feet while using up to 16 gallon of water in 24 hours.
With this unit, there is no need to refill your humidifier just like you will do with console types as this unit is directly connected to a water source.
One unique feature to enjoy from the AprilAire 700, it features digital moisture sensor that helps to measures the current indoor humidity level and automatically regulate it for comfort needs. For less maintenance and running cost, purchasing this product will be a wise decision for those with busy days.
The bottom line, as an induct system, it requires installation and if you are a DIY kind of person, you can take the advantage and if you are not, then an expert is needed and this will require you some installation cost.
3. Bionaire Ultrasonic Humidifier
Humidifiers are built to add humidity in homes where there is low humidity in order to maintain relative humidity. However, this bionaire humidifier won’t disappoint you when you need it most. The ultrasonic unit is space saving, it uses no filter and the beautiful design will equally add décor to your home.
This features an empty tank indicator which will alert you when the tank is empty and for health safety, the bionaire is equipped with an antimicrobial protection which is infused into the plastics that prevent bacteria growth, odors, stains that can adversely affect its performance.
It also comes with a digital humidistat, LCD screen display, where you can view current humidity level of your home. Also from the display panel you can as well keep an eye on the water level, timer and other features. Click here to read more!!!
4. Honeywell Cool Moisture Console Humidifier
The Honeywell HCM-6009 cool mist humidifier is a reliable unit that can also server you humidity in a whole house and also multiple room use. It is engineered in light-weight and caster wheels to enable you transport it from one room to another. With multiple output settings you can adjust humidity level to sooth your needs.
It features QuietCare technology that runs silently and dual tank. The tank opening is located at the top of the unit making it easy to refill and clean.
The Honeywell Console unit consumes less energy than the normal 80 watt bulb and its automatic shut off feature, turns it off when there is no water to disperse. When the tank is filled up, this machine can run for up to 24 hours providing you the humidity needed at home.
5. Aprilaire 400 Humidifier Bypass
The Aprilaire 400 is another furnace humidifier which you can consider as well. It is designed for home of up to 4,000 square feet which is great for larger spaces.
The Aprilaire 400 is equipped with built-in humidistat that helps measure the level of humidity in your room. If the result is too low, it will raise it to a desired level and equally regulates itself when humidity is high to prevent too humid dwelling space.
The humidifier is cost effective, when it comes to maintenance and running expenses. All you need do, installed it, set your set prefer humidity level then leave it to run and keep checking on schedule basis to see if there is any parts to replace. Remember, this unit requires installation for it to start functioning.
7. Essick Air 3-Speed Console Humidifier
The unit features a humidity sensor. With its digital display you can view all settings to see if the device is complying with them. Even as a console unit, it is not left out, it features three fan speeds (low, medium and high), so you can choose the speed that is suitable at a time to meet your home condition at a particular time.
With its 12 gallon of water consumption rate, this humidity machine will humidify a space of 2,500 square feet with moisture while lasting up to 24 hour. It also features a superb wick technology that helps prevent harmful dusts and particulates to provide you bacteria and contaminated free air.
How Humidifier Benefits Dry Skin
To add to the list, your wooden floor, chairs, furniture’s and electronics are at risk in homes where there is low humidity as these items would be forced to crack and may finally split which may cause you a whole lot of investment.
Even Wikipedia concludes, raising indoor humidity to a certain level through the use of a humidifier or other means is beneficial to humans and properties.
However, knowing how a humidifier works, helping to add humidity to the air today will saves you some costly mistakes which can result from dry air.
The Best Whole House Humidifier Buying Guide
Coverage area: This is one of the most important aspects of a whole house humidifier. The coverage area of your home will determine the product that will powered it optimally. The coverage area is measured in square feet. Some product covers up to 4,000 sq. ft, 2,500 sq. ft 3,600 sq. ft, etc. Consider checking the actual coverage of the unit you intend buying to meet your home specification before purchasing it.
Evaporation rate: The evaporation rate determines the rate at the moisture being released by humidifier will saturate your home space. In order words, the higher the number the faster it will take for your space to be humidified and vice versa. However, aiming a unit with high output evaporation rate is a wise decision.
Humidity regulation: Units that feature automatic humidistat will automatically adjust the level of humidity present in your home thereby creating a comfortable dwelling place while those with manual operation requires you doing it by yourself with the help of a hygrometer.
Ease of use: Features such as automatic shut off function, empty tank alert and filter replacement reminders are some of the features that make running a humidifier an ease of use. The level of maintenance required in terms how long it takes to replace the filters, cleaning the unit should be put into consideration as these can increase the cost of running your humidifier.
Installation: Here you can determine what type of whole house you want to purchase as there are two types available. The induct type requires installation which can be done either by you or by a professional. And if done by experts, you may incur some cost in installing it but the console types do not needs installation.
Why Should You Purchase a Whole House Humidifier
- It offers convenience: A whole-house humidifier provides convenience. In the sense that, after installing a whole house humidifier, you can simply set your desired humidity level and just leave it to run. The only thing left is to keep checking it from time to time to see if there is need to replace any broken parts. That’s just a little care compare to the portable humidifiers. In addition, a whole house humidifier comes with bigger tank, this eliminate the needs of refilling the tank more often compare to single rooms units.
- Little Maintenance: While the portable humidifiers requires chemicals that are sometimes harmful for regular cleaning to prevent mold and bacteria growth, the whole house type is free from this development. This is essentially true because whole house units uses freshwater from your home water system. This water doesn’t stand in one place for bacteria and viruses to breed in.
- Furthermore, most whole house humidifiers are energy certified which consumes less electricity, this is not so with the portable humidifiers types. However, the review of our whole house humidifier here will give you enough reasons to purchase a whole house humidifier instead of the single room humidifiers.
- It is space saving: Even though the portable humidifiers come in tower design, they are usually bulky in size. And the larger your room size, the bigger tank you will need to be in the portable system. And most times, one portable unit may not be enough to add the required moisture for a whole house. But the case is different with whole house humidifiers. Only one unit is powerful to humidify the entire space and may not be noticed by visitors as it will be installed in strategic location.
From the above discussion of the top rated whole house humidifier reviews, we concludes based on features, ratings and consumers reports that the AIRCARE ma1202 as the best whole house humidifier we can recommend for buyers looking for a humidifier for their entire home coverage.